Nickel and cobalt metal able to process from low grade laterite using solvent extraction and electrowinning. One of electrowinning methods which has good performance to produce pure metal is electrometal-electrowinninge(EMEW). In this work, solventextraction was used to separate nickel and cobalt which useCyanex-Versatic Acid in toluene as an organic phase. An aqueous phase of extraction was processed using EMEW in order to deposit the nickel metal in Cathode electrode. The parameters which used in this work were batch temperature, operation time, voltage, and boric acid concentration. Those parameters were studied and optimized using the design of experiment of Taguchi. The Taguchi analysis result shows that the optimum result of EMEW was at 60°C of batch temperature, 2 Voltage, 6 hours operation and 0.5 M of boric acid.
- 1. M. B. Mooiman, I. Ewart and J. Robinson, Electrowinning Precious Metals from Cyanide Solution Using EMEW Technology, Google Scholar
- 2. P.A. Treasure (2005). EMEW electrowinning: Treatment of copper sulphate pickling and etchant solutions. (Electrometals Technologies Ltd, 2005) Google Scholar
- 3. E. Roux, J. Gnoinski, I. Ewart and D. Dreisinger. Cu-Removal From The Skorpion Circuit Using EMEW Technology. The Fourth Southern African conference on Base Metals (2010) Pp. 27–44. Google Scholar
- 4. A. S. Guimarães, P. S. da Silva 1, M.B. Mansur, Purification of nickel from multicomponent aqueous sulfuric solutions by synergistic solvent extraction using Cyanex 272 and Versatic 10. Hydrometallurgy 150 (2014) pp. 173–177 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hydromet.2014.10.005, Google Scholar,
- 5. G. H. Nikamand B. S. Mohite, Liquid-Liquid Extraction and Separation of Cobalt(II) from Sodium Acetate media using Cyanex 272 [Research Journal of Chemical Sciences. Res. J. Chem. Sci., Vol. 2(1) (2012) pp. 75–82. Google Scholar
- 6. J. Lu, Effects of additives on nickel electrowinning from sulfate system. School of Chemical Engineering, Sichuan University, Chengdu China, 2009. Google Scholar
- 7. Z. Wei, The performance of lead anodes Used for zinc electrowinning and their effects on energy consumption and cathode impurities. Faculte des Sciences et de Genie. Universite Laval. Quebec (2010) Google Scholar
- 8. E. Arman, Influence of polyoxometalates as the additive on electro-winning of copper. Mining and Mineral Processing Eng. Dept., Adana Science and Technology Univ., Adana, Turkey (2016) Google Scholar
- 9. R. Xiulian, Study of the electrodeposition conditions of metallic manganese in an electrolytic membrane reactor. School of the Marin, Harbin Institute of Technology at Weihai, Wenhua West Road 2, Weihai, Shandong, China (2010) Google Scholar
- 10. B. Muhamed, An investigation of the failure mechanisms of aluminum cathodes in zinc electrowinning cells. Department of Metals and Materials Engineering. The University of British Columbia. Vancouver (1999) Google Scholar
Published by AIP Publishing.
Please Note: The number of views represents the full text views from December 2016 to date. Article views prior to December 2016 are not included.